1. How did you get into DH? My buddy Derek took me out to Downieville years ago and I rented a DH bike. I was BLOWN away!! The bike had suspension, crazy brakes, etc...I was hooked from that point on...
2. Air or coil shocks? Coil on the rear/air fork....Rock Shox Baby!!
3. Hot dogs or hamburgers? My friends would tell you both(they think I have a eating problem)
4. If you could only have one bike? Now that's a tough one...I'd have to say Enduro because of the huck-ability, but also because of my eating habits..
5. Favorite motorcross racer? VILLOPOTO all the way!! Angry ginger on track!!!
6. Last thing that goes through mind at the start gate?/b> Party time...
7. Favorite DH track? Schladming will always be the best. That track had everything...perfect flow, roots, mud, rocks, open grass sections, elevation, and a perfect slope.
8. Favorite XC loop? In a little place in Santa Cruz where hippies hang out.
9. How many pull-ups can you do? 25....after hotdogs/ hamburgers..3
10. How big are your quads? The size of Schwillis' waist.
11. Describe your riding style… In control..maybe a little too much. Need to let the ginger out.
12. Biggest race for you? I personally am a big fan of Crankworx Whistler. That place gets tons of coverage, big names show up, fans everywhere, Best bike park in the world and you get to share it with your bros. It's the best barnone.
13. Who has helped you along the way? So many people..my family, friends and my amazing girlfriend Chas are the obivous. Then others like Brandon Sloan, John Dawson, Joe Buckley have done so much for me over the years, I can't even begin to tell!! So thank you all!!!
14. Carbon or aluminum? Carbon is the future!!!!
15. Flats or clips? Flats all the way.
16. Pump track or slalom? Pumptracks are so fun.
17. Who would win in a fight, Joe Buckley or Brandon Sloan? Those guys would die trying...too tough to call. Whoever bonked first would go down...so maybe Buck. Ive him seen bonk more than Sloan. I'm convinced theres steriods in DR Pepper..
18. What’s more important, geometry or travel? Geometry
19. What sort of hair products do you use? H2O...oh wait, Axis hair products from Canada.
20. Favorite breakfast?? I could eat EGGS, sausage, english muffins and French Toast for the rest of my life...3 times a day no problemo..
21. Best thing about DH racing? Worst? The challenge!!! It's so hard to be up top. It keeps me alive and well...my life couldn't be any better right now. Worst part would have to injuries and the airports. They both suck no matter what...
Just got backApril 13, 2011
Just got back from the first race of the year in Port Angeles Wa. It was the first stop of the PRO GRT series and our first race for the newly formed Specialized Racing USA Gravity Team including Brad Benedict and I. We made the journey up there in the Big S Sprinter van along with Grom racing coach/good friend Chris Herndon. We had a awesome time driving up...stopped every 2hrs it seemed to grab some coffee or food because we were in no rush by all means..maybe we just wanted to spaz out on some caffeine..well Brad and I did. Herndon is too cool for coffee..ha!!
We had a great set up in the pits...3- 10x10's, Sprinter van, Specialized bikes everywhere in our pits..that reminds me. Man is there A LOT of Demo 8's out in PA!!! Holy moly!! It seemed like every 5th bike was a Demo. It was cool to see.
The track this year was a little different is a couple sections compared to last year but was just as good. It was hard not to do too many runs because we were having so much fun being on a proper DH track. I'd have to say I was a happy kid riding my Dh bike. The 2011 Demo 8 with 2.3 Butchers was the ticket no matter what mother nature threw at us. Dry to muddy conditions, I stuck to the Butchers all weekend.
It been awhile since I last raced and to be honest I was a bit nervous on my seeding run. You wonder if you've done enough preparation, the right preparation, do you know how to ride a bike still?? etc..etc. So I cruised down to a 10th...I was happy with that because I knew I had another 5 in me. I walked the track later that day I found some new lines and was feeling it the next day...Race day came and so did the rain. To be honest the track was holding up quite well. I was loving it!!! I took off for my run and we were going good!!! Until I came to this weird step up thing...I ended up getting sideways up the lip and not jumping it..lost a lot of momenten for a flatter section. Oh well that's racing..that sent me back to 11th..not what I wanted but could have been much worse. So I'm greatful for that and ready for the OTTER!!!