1. How did you get into DH? My buddy Derek took me out to Downieville years ago and I rented a DH bike. I was BLOWN away!! The bike had suspension, crazy brakes, etc...I was hooked from that point on...
2. Air or coil shocks? Coil on the rear/air fork....Rock Shox Baby!!
3. Hot dogs or hamburgers? My friends would tell you both(they think I have a eating problem)
4. If you could only have one bike? Now that's a tough one...I'd have to say Enduro because of the huck-ability, but also because of my eating habits..
5. Favorite motorcross racer? VILLOPOTO all the way!! Angry ginger on track!!!
6. Last thing that goes through mind at the start gate?/b> Party time...
7. Favorite DH track? Schladming will always be the best. That track had everything...perfect flow, roots, mud, rocks, open grass sections, elevation, and a perfect slope.
8. Favorite XC loop? In a little place in Santa Cruz where hippies hang out.
9. How many pull-ups can you do? 25....after hotdogs/ hamburgers..3
10. How big are your quads? The size of Schwillis' waist.
11. Describe your riding style… In control..maybe a little too much. Need to let the ginger out.
12. Biggest race for you? I personally am a big fan of Crankworx Whistler. That place gets tons of coverage, big names show up, fans everywhere, Best bike park in the world and you get to share it with your bros. It's the best barnone.
13. Who has helped you along the way? So many people..my family, friends and my amazing girlfriend Chas are the obivous. Then others like Brandon Sloan, John Dawson, Joe Buckley have done so much for me over the years, I can't even begin to tell!! So thank you all!!!
14. Carbon or aluminum? Carbon is the future!!!!
15. Flats or clips? Flats all the way.
16. Pump track or slalom? Pumptracks are so fun.
17. Who would win in a fight, Joe Buckley or Brandon Sloan? Those guys would die trying...too tough to call. Whoever bonked first would go down...so maybe Buck. Ive him seen bonk more than Sloan. I'm convinced theres steriods in DR Pepper..
18. What’s more important, geometry or travel? Geometry
19. What sort of hair products do you use? H2O...oh wait, Axis hair products from Canada.
20. Favorite breakfast?? I could eat EGGS, sausage, english muffins and French Toast for the rest of my life...3 times a day no problemo..
21. Best thing about DH racing? Worst? The challenge!!! It's so hard to be up top. It keeps me alive and well...my life couldn't be any better right now. Worst part would have to injuries and the airports. They both suck no matter what...
Us OpenMay 31, 2011
2011 Us Open is in the books again. Every year I look forward to this event more and more. The track here is challenging, usually dry, rocky, some wide open sweepers and typically a huck at the end. Though this year we had no huck do to the construction going on. I was told it should be done by Dec, which will bring back the tradition finish area and Red Bull jump( I hope).
This year there were a few new sections to the track..actually the bottom half was all new then some new bits near the JBL rock garden. Which by the way was VERY slick the first few days of practice. I had to trust my big 2.5 Butchers to get me through it. On the new bottom half, it was a mix of open turns and woods section. Not as crazy as the top, but still good.
Come quali time, I made a smooth conservative run just to get me in. My main concern was flatting...so I played it smart. I came down with a 2:33 in 14th. I new I was riding well so I was quite happy with that. I had a bit left in the tank. On race day sunday we were blessed with sunny weather and dry track conditions..I was excited for this!!!! I decided to let her rip in the finals...hold nothing back, just go for it. And that I did. I nailed the top section better then ever, motored the rocks and was heading out of the top woods on to the open fire road. I stand up sprinting, feeling good then before the step up I noticed that I've got a front flat.. #$%@!! Not happy, but it is what it is. That's racing and I'm gonna have to wait another year for this one.
On a exciting note, Specialized/GROM racing absolutely crushed it on the weekend taking the top 4 spots in Giant Slalom and 1st and 3rd in the DH.. Congrats guys... Chris Herndon and Tim Price are doing awesome things over there.
Now chilling for a day with the lady and off to Europe tomorrow.